Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Know When to Fold 'Em

On Presidents' Day, I drove a distance to this location. Known winter carp joint, as you can see there. I've been wondering about this place all winter. Don't get up there much anymore, now that I've moved down south, and we've got travel restrictions in place at work... so no heading north to main office. The only way to work out if there were carp there or not was to buck up and put in the miles. Approx 40 minute drive one way. Did it. This is what I saw:

Nothing at all, really. Couple items to consider when wondering why:

(1) The water was somewhat turbid. The knee-jerk reaction is to say sure - it rained and melted recently. Well, I've looked on this spot quite a few times, and it rarely goes turbid. It's a tailwater, and the reservoir kills any sediment pulse. Not sure how it came to be brown recently... interesting.
(2) Commercial fisherman have recently seined thousands of tons of carp out of this stretch of river. Could have decimated the population. Probably did.
(3) The fish were there, but just not in my view/sight. I stared at the water for a good 20 minutes before I even strung up my rod. Never did see one silhouette. This isn't a blind fishing water, but I cast around for 15 minutes anyway, just to see if my fly would bump something and give me a clue or two. Never did.

A good lesson in sunken costs: I made the trip, and it was a given that I had to make the trip home. Therefore, there was no sense in flailing away at nothing and burning precious minutes. Left two hours early and got home before the kids woke up.

Some folks have been around though - apparently bleeding fish and making fire:


No roughians then, yet in 2009. Have to wait it out a bit longer.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on ya for putting in the leg work. Its satisfying in itself, bummer about your prey though.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least you went the distance. I have yet to even make the attempt. I'm waiting for a day to spike near 30, but alas it has never coincided at a time I was able to bail and go fish.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

Really want to feel a big fish. I was really thinking I'd at least SEE some carp on this day. Tough.

I forgot to mention: it'd have been impossible to land any fish at this location... I would have had to break any off at ~20 feet away, due to an unwelcoming icy slope.

9:46 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home