Monday, May 12, 2014

Late April Camp


We made good on a camp on the top of the same valley wall just a couple weeks earlier with some friends; and in fact we were encamped at this location one year ago for DMW's birthday.  Good place.  Pretty old place.  Years past we have slept on the ground in various locations; three of us guys usually.  Boys got on pretty well for the most part; much as one would expect.  Can't hold them back though and we parents have been made aware of this fact both generally over the past year or so and also acutely accordingly to various incidents, discussions, developments, etc.  This outing marked the first ever in which my son JDW asked to go home early.  He cited missing his friends as the reason; I believed him.  More and more the bonds of a local BMX bike gang are cementing.  I believed what he said about missing his friends.  When we were engaged in camp work, making meals, playing catch with a football, etc. he was good in his air and in his place.  But in downtime his mind wandered back to his street; could see it.  So my conclusion on this is that he didn't dislike the substance of the trip; in fact he didn't complain about it.  But he'd rather have been somewhere else for the weekend.  Something that I can accept and understand.  I'm telling you they were little buggers at one time, climbing everything and looking at fish, bugs, skipping rocks.

I came home and parked car; watched him jump out and run across the street to his buddy's place.  These young guys need membership beyond our home; I know it.  

Few notes below.


Simple act of making coffe or tea in various locations is always a highlight.  Walk up on a place years later and you'll remember boiling water at a camp site or in a cave or at an inside bend.

Realizing that trout fishing is probably too difficult for kids.  Or, I don't know how to fish for trout with spinning gear.  He cast for about 20 minutes; there were fish in this reach.  Every five casts or so I had to cut out a rats nest, presumably because I don' t know how to spool line on the reel. 

New gear item #1: popcorn popper.  Works well.


New gear item #2: flint and steel.

Works well for lighting gas burners; we knew that though before trying.  We tried lighting a couple fires from tinder, using shredded paper and leaves.  Couldn't get it.  Really close but no flames.  

Once it started raining JDW decided to stay in the tent for extending morning take-it-easy.  I hadn't lined a rod; which was fine.  But it got the best of me and I ran down the hill without waders and cast from the near bank; third cast drew a fish.  Had to reach across to the deep slot on the far side.  I ended up wading in over my boots, which was fine; soaked anyway.

Plenty of fish around in easy-access place like this one, despite the many anglers we encountered.

Caught a handful; kept three.

Makeshift creel.