Thursday, April 17, 2014

Catch and Keep Opener 2014


Lost one creel and broke the strap on another; the latter being one that I bought at a garage sale for $1.  Mint condition wicker basket.  Strap broke due to excessive fish weight last April.  Never fixed it.  Will be on my list forever.  That's how things go for me.  So in the foreground here is my great uncle's old creel.  Given to me just months ago after sitting in the old family house for years.  I value it; honor it on this day by showing it a new water.  

Was nervous starting out; paranoid that someone would jump in ahead of me.  Despite fact that I drove on a road that required 4WD and care to not use brakes and then crossed an extensive field up top and then climbed down a steep valley wall, I was still worried about running into someone.  So given that, I moved too quickly through good water, so as to get up to a point at which I knew no one could jump me.  The result being that I pulled 0-1 fish out per hole, instead of 3-5 fish per good water like this beauty corner.  I have hooked and landed two BNT at once, twice standing in this exact foothole.  Main river was just a bit turbid (15-18 inches clarity I think), which made for great streamer offerings.

Nice layer cake.  You wouldn't know it walking in the woods.  Part of our character.

Love triangle.

Bedrock control.

This deep green water.  Begging for streamers.  Cast.  Stare at streambed for about ten seconds.  Retrieve.  Let that damn thing get down there.  Picture it kicking little silt plumes.

Probably about 15-17 fish to hand fishing 10 AM to 1 PM.  Of which five were selected for harvest.  This one was the sole photo, due not to size, but to spots.

Season of stomach content examinations.

God grant us the wisdom to keep this place roadless and forever free of the touch of man's heavy machinery.