Saturday, July 26, 2008

Oh, Biggie give me one more chance…

I’ll be out of commission for a while, as of yesterday at 3 PM CST. No big deal, but carping will not be an option for a week or so. You didn’t figure I’d lay up without at least one more go of it though, did you? Hehe. It was 12:28 when I glanced at the clock, and the question was: should I try to carp fish on my way home? The answer was: you’re got-damn right I should. My suggestion to you is when you are doing some fence-sitting, err on the side of going fishing.

Walked up to this little joint and right away I saw nervous water. Rigged up the Wayfarer, and triple-tested both my knot and my hook. I figured if I couldn’t break them with my hands, no carp would break them. I crept on what I knew was a carp, and successfully got right on top of her, hiding behind some tall grass. This was a bit in which I said “this is a caught fish – guaranteed.” A guy says that now and then… sometimes it works out. I really figured I had this fish because she was unaware and feeding… and I thought if she’d hadn’t spooked on my approach, she wouldn’t spook before I could hook her. Flipped the LOD and dragged it front/side, but she didn’t see it. I gave it a little jig and she still didn’t see it. I did another flip then, dragged it into position… and boy did she bolt out of there! Pretty funny. I figure she must have seen me – I don’t think the fly spooked her. Just a case of not seeing me right away, but then happening to catch a glimpse of a storky anomaly with shiny glasses standing on the shore… later dude. So I moved on.

Next I saw a fish feeding in a little stand of filamentous algae. I could see everything but her head. I sneaked on her and wait for a few seconds… as luck would have it, she started to move her head out the other side of the algae mass… Flipped the LOD, and after 1-2 seconds she caught sight of it, and did the pounce. I couldn’t actually see the fly enter her mouth, but I knew it was there. I think I said something like “hells yeah” and set the hook. Now this fish decided to be a sprinter and a buller. Right away she took off like Qadry Ismail the Missle and put me half way through my backing! Maybe the best run I’ve gotten from a MN carp. She followed that up with several intermediate runs, and just bulled and bulled in between each of those. What a battler she was. After maybe 10-12 minutes of pretty hard pressure I beached her and pounced into the water. Took a few photos and released her on her way.

I didn’t use the competition control item because I could tell, having the mental reference provided by the previous two fish I had measured, that this one didn’t exceed 33 inches. However, she was BIGGER than the other two, no doubt in my mind. She was fatter, wider and deeper. I’d say she was no less than 15 lbs and no more than 20 lbs… probably closer to 15 than to 20, but I’ve not held that many fish in this range, so it’s hard to pinpoint. No way was she smaller than 15 lbs though. Maybe one of my top 5 carp, but hard to say for sure. Beautiful, strong and determined fish. For those who care, the fly was firmly implanted inside the lip.

I'd love to hear from John Montana, who has held/seen many carp in this range, a weight estimate. Keep in mind the rod is a 7 wt and reel is pretty big!



9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! That is perhaps the biggest MN carp I've seen (at least in this part of MN!) Nice job...have to chat about your spot...I feel your pain about being out of action - I will be out for a week more as well - except for the spare hour when i'm supposed - to be working...

1:29 PM  
Blogger John Montana said...

Great fish J! I hope you are feeling ok!

I think you are right on...just judging by the pics i'd say 15-16 lbs. I don't think it is quite as big as the two you caught in OR, but it is really, really close.

You need another scale!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

damn that's a chunky brute for sure. Like hauling in a cinder block...

4:34 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

Still riding the high from that one. It will tide me over until I can get out again. Powerful fish...

8:23 PM  
Blogger John Montana said...

Looking at that picture of the tail again...maybe this fish is bigger than you and i are guessing. Tough to tell, but regardless...its a beast. definite mid to high teens...

bring a scale...catch it again!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

You might be right. That is one of the biggest tails I've encountered... love that pic. I'll try to put a stop to this guessing by bringing a net and a scale next time.

Easily could have been 17-18 lbs. Hard to say.

7:20 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, true religion, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike free, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, true religion outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co jewelry, christian louboutin outlet

12:15 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale

12:30 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, nike air max, ray ban, parajumpers outlet, toms outlet, timberland shoes, converse shoes, replica watches, moncler, hollister, lancel, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, links of london uk, wedding dress, louis vuitton canada, ugg, vans, moncler, pandora charms, canada goose uk, louboutin, canada goose, oakley, juicy couture outlet, hollister canada, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, iphone 6 case, ralph lauren, canada goose pas cher, pandora uk, coach outlet, moncler, montre femme, converse, swarovski uk, uggs canada, supra shoes, hollister clothing, karen millen, swarovski jewelry, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, air max, gucci, moncler

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home