Wednesday, July 09, 2008

There and Back Again

Took a road trip recently, in Wink182 – the overheating Saturn to which I am faithful. Instead of plodding along big roads, I pedaled straight east to Missi Zibbi, and then turned downstream. As I drove south, when faced with an intersection, I’d choose whichever road stayed closest to The River. That’s navigation.

Got hot and got the itch, so I pulled off at a given point somewhere in the SE quadrant of the state (Google it). Within 10 seconds I put my eyes on a carp, feeding slowly in some near-bank vegetation. I got rigged up then, and started walking. There were not carp everywhere, but almost. Every few minutes I found one or a few feeding. I had to get pretty close to fish to them, so I spooked quite a few. Found a group of three mowing around in very shallow water… I heron-walked on their asses and had it just perfect… but then decided to change flies. I kept my legs stone-still while tying on a Legion of Doom… but sometimes when you’re frozen like that you just start to tip… anyway, I was standing <10 feet from the fish, and I fell backwards on my ass and made quite a clamor amidst the rocks. I laughed out loud as I got up, expecting the fish to have gone and maybe even traced a middle finger in the silt… but – HA – they were still there. Pretty funny, given that just minutes before I fished to one and he spooked when I made the softest sound by bumping two rocks together beneath my foot. Anyway – I got one the LOD fly to one of them, gave it a little “jig” and watched as the fish swam on over and sucked it up. Deadly visual. Not a deadly fish… but that’s okay.

On the way out I found a dead gar. I put the head in my trunk, and it traveled with me. It’s now in my garage.



The way back was near as good. I was treated to a stunning sunset. It was very late by the time I rolled into the Root River watershed… pretty much dark. I quick pulled off the road as the last sunbeams left, and said I’d only fish if I saw anything rising. I looked for a while and I did in fact see a few rises. They were sporadic, and I couldn’t tell what they were eating, in part because it was damn near black out but also because I don’t really know shit about hatches. I’m indecisive, so I went back and forth: fish or not… ?? Finally I said there’s no one at home waiting for me, and I won’t be back on a Root River trib at this time of night in this situation for a long time if ever. So I put on an EHC and tossed it out there. The night was very cool… some mosquitoes bombed me a bit… and there was a bit of a night creature chorus. All in all, it was good. The two fish I could get to wouldn’t eat the caddis though. I ignored the fact that they were ignoring the fly and I kept putting it on them. Over and over. I keyed in on the one closest to me and I tried to drift it exactly where it was rising… and like all the books say – persistence won out. Fish took the caddis and it was a joyful moment there in the night, on that little stream. That was all I needed so I packed up and drove north.

32 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good report and great photos - them gars gots the scary teeth, don't they?

2:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

The teeth are like needles, yes indeed. I would really like to catch a gar.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I need to chase some longnose with a rope fly. I wish I had a boat....

nice story J

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium drug usage - valium half life dogs

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

order ambien online no prescription took 2 10mg ambien - ambien side effects yahoo answers

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ambien for sale ambien generic - ambien side effects ear ringing

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

xanax online generic xanax to buy - what is xanax 1mg

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

order diazepam where can i buy valium online yahoo answers - diazepam 5mg dosage for dogs

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy valium online dosage of valium 5mg - buy valium online australia no prescription

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

valium diazepam diazepam 5 mg para que serve - buy valium online overnight delivery

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lorazepam 1mg get ativan online - michael jackson ativan overdose

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ativan for anxiety lorazepam 1 mg duration - much needed overdose ativan

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

discount xanax generic pills for xanax - xanax withdrawal day 4

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

valium no rx valium anxiety sleep - quando si usa valium

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

diazepam no prescription valium treatment for depression - diazepam valium history

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy soma online soma drug mg - soma muscle relaxer online

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheap carisoprodol order soma online no rx - buy soma az

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

discount valium valium what does it do - fake valium 10mg

3:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy valium online very cheap valium - valium half life 10 mg

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy valium online overnight delivery street prices of valium - long-term usage of valium

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

generic valium names valium 5mg image - valium pill 5 mg

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, cheap generic lipitor - order lipitor http://www.costoflipitoronline.net/#order-lipitor

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

advitleva generic propecia no prescription - cheap propecia no prescription http://www.bestpricefinasteride.com/

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dalsCleax generic soma - cheap soma no prescription http://www.recipesandfamily.com/#cheap-soma-no-prescription

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drug Deals On College Campus meridia online - reductil online http://www.meridiaonlineorder.net/#reductil-online , [url=http://www.meridiaonlineorder.net/#meridia-price ]meridia price [/url]

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6, cheap adipex 37.5 mg - adipex diet pills for sale http://www.costofadipex375.com/#cheap-adipex-37.5, [url=http://www.costofadipex375.com/#adipex-generic]cheap adipex[/url]

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2013 ativan cost - purchase ativan http://www.ativanonlinenorx.net/#generic-lorazepam, [url=http://www.ativanonlinenorx.net/#buy-ativan]ativan cost[/url]

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

g, purchase levitra - price of levitra http://www.recoverinchrist.org/#price-of-levitra , [url=http://www.recoverinchrist.org/#vardenafil-for-sale ]vardenafil for sale [/url]

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1, [url=http://www.onlinecelebrexdeal.net/]Celebrex Online[/url] - Celebrex Online - celebrex for sale online http://www.onlinecelebrexdeal.net/.

5:29 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, true religion, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike free, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, true religion outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co jewelry, christian louboutin outlet

12:15 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale

12:30 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, nike air max, ray ban, parajumpers outlet, toms outlet, timberland shoes, converse shoes, replica watches, moncler, hollister, lancel, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, links of london uk, wedding dress, louis vuitton canada, ugg, vans, moncler, pandora charms, canada goose uk, louboutin, canada goose, oakley, juicy couture outlet, hollister canada, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, iphone 6 case, ralph lauren, canada goose pas cher, pandora uk, coach outlet, moncler, montre femme, converse, swarovski uk, uggs canada, supra shoes, hollister clothing, karen millen, swarovski jewelry, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, air max, gucci, moncler

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home