Thursday, August 10, 2006

July 2006 was the first month in a long, long time in which I did not have the privilege of cupping my hands around a trout in a stream. Even in Dec/Jan/Feb of 2005-06 I caught a few stream fish... But I've been busy with many things, and when I've been out lately it's been chasing carp.

Today though, I was too close to good water to pass it up. I watched the DNR shock a stream in the afternoon - had some homegrown buffalo and cheese, then wheeled it back home with a pause at one of my favorite streams - just to break up the trip. There were hoppers everywhere... tied on a foam imitation and wove it around the air and the water - pretty cool. No hits though, and finally, after I worked over some really trouty water (got nothing) and proceeded to watch about 8 nice fish - 3 of which were easily in high teens - shoot away as I walked by, I said heck with it and put on a nymph rig.

Wow, is it drastic to go back to all those points of weight on your line after fishing nothing but carp flies, poppers or dry flies for so long... I was all out of sorts - getting tangled and everything. It took a few minutes, but finally I got it out there, and from a great hole, I landed the first trout since my sabbatical: a beautiful, deep, strong brown crafted in heaven by the hand of God himself I think - perfect peaches and teals and reds and rings around spots... This fish was easily 18" long, and demanded my respect in every way. I felt so good I actually sat down in the stream (I was wet wading and that was beautiful too) holding the fish so I could get my eyes down close to her world. Everything was right. A side note is that the fish fought really hard - kept bullying into weeds like a torpedo and I was sure I wouldn't land her... but I kept the pressure on and the #18 pink squirrel held true.

I only fished for an hour or so, and landed only two more fish... but they made the perfect triad: a brook trout of handsome nature, and a 11.5" brown that was also very deep and is currently in a stasis in my freezer. Everything I could want from fishing in one hour. The water was cold and dead clear and I saw no human beings. The only other note is that, as you can probably guess, the woods are lovely but also very dark and deep at this time of year... stinging nettle and prickly ash abound everywhere. When you wet wade, your light pants become naught but another thin epidermis through which said plants can easily penetrate. Thus, it is the land, not the water that causes problems for wet waders.

Thank you, thank you fish for allowing me to meet you today after work.

7 Comments:

Blogger John Montana said...

very nice...boy do i need to get out fishing!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Brendon Etter said...

Justin,

I think you are a fish, in some ways... some sort of reincarnation process at work in you.

I mean, how cool would it be to come back to life as a sturgeon, a forty-pound monster pike, or a walleye in the Boundary Waters.

Large-mouth Bass?

Bluegill?

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice fishing story. We like to go to a local river near our house and catch and release lots of bream and bass.
Tim

1:55 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

v

11:39 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, true religion, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike free, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, true religion outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co jewelry, christian louboutin outlet

11:39 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale

11:46 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, nike air max, ray ban, parajumpers outlet, toms outlet, timberland shoes, converse shoes, replica watches, moncler, hollister, lancel, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, links of london uk, wedding dress, louis vuitton canada, ugg, vans, moncler, pandora charms, canada goose uk, louboutin, canada goose, oakley, juicy couture outlet, hollister canada, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, iphone 6 case, ralph lauren, canada goose pas cher, pandora uk, coach outlet, moncler, montre femme, converse, swarovski uk, uggs canada, supra shoes, hollister clothing, karen millen, swarovski jewelry, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, air max, gucci, moncler

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home