Sunday, July 16, 2006


Confirmed another great carp water today - the list is growing rapidly.

First though, I have to say that I got my wig split by the fish at the carp water I've been fishing the past few days. I stalked around for 1.5 hours, but just couldn't do anything... The sun was clouded over, and what light did make it through somehow managed to create a terrible glare - I couldn't see a thing. There were no actively feeding fish in the shallows. I laid eyes on three fish: (1) cruising, but I had a shot and made a bad cast, (2) out in deep water near the top of the column - I tried to sneak up, but the fish spooked when I got within 30 feet directly behind him... not sure how he sensed that one, (3) right on the deep water fringe - disappeared before I could cast.

So, with 30 minutes to spare I headed home by way of another suspected carp water. I poked around for 20 minutes and saw six carp, two of which were double-digit fish. I cast at only two.... One of which is pictured here. This fish was feeding in some rocks at a stormwater outfall. The hookup was really cool: he moved to the side, and completey hid himself in some vegetation. I waited until he slipped out, and threw the fly just to the side of him into a deeper pocket of water. The fish slowly disappeared from sight - I couldn't see the carp or the fly at all... but he had disappeared right where the fly sank, so I set the hook... fish was there! Pretty small carp, but still took some line on 4 wt. I'll be back tomorrow - I saw some great fish and I only walked 2-3% of the walkable area.

4 Comments:

Blogger John Montana said...

that looks like a solid fish. keep that list growing, next spring you'll need to show me a few 20 lbers!

9:04 PM  
Blogger John Montana said...

by the way, isn't it amazing how well they take the fly? if you put the fly by their mouth without spooking them, you might as well assume they ate it.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

5:48 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, nike air max, ray ban, parajumpers outlet, toms outlet, timberland shoes, converse shoes, replica watches, moncler, hollister, lancel, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, links of london uk, wedding dress, louis vuitton canada, ugg, vans, moncler, pandora charms, canada goose uk, louboutin, canada goose, oakley, juicy couture outlet, hollister canada, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, iphone 6 case, ralph lauren, canada goose pas cher, pandora uk, coach outlet, moncler, montre femme, converse, swarovski uk, uggs canada, supra shoes, hollister clothing, karen millen, swarovski jewelry, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, air max, gucci, moncler

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home