Thursday, August 03, 2006

The take is in fact the premiere moment, and I was reminded of this last night. In fact, this event was confirmation that you don't even need to fight or land the fish really... An amazing take can be written into your brain - it seems that the tip of a fly rod can etch grooves in your mind like a laser writes to your CD-R. Case in point - I can't flush that big carp from last week out of my mind - the leviathan that sucked in my fly in perfect fashion... the pig that I released by way of breaking my line at a tippet knot. Tragic is what it was... Last night was just as good though.

I have had some success the past few nights ripping poppers around on the glassy surface of the lake on which my father and his wife live - caught some nice 1-2 lb bass, and even coaxed two pike to the surface - one of which sheared me off immediately in an acrobatic eruption, the other was landed only because I lipped him (also a great missle-like take). Both of those fish were relatively small though. In general, action has been intermittent and okay... not fast, furious or outstanding. Popper fishing is great though... BIG popper fishing is even better because it keeps the little ones away. Back to last night then - cast for ~20 minutes, and got no action. The only notable item was that my brother told me he could easily outfish me using a leadhead minnow with a plastic body. I didn't deny it - he is a great fisherman... but I tried to mention something about process as compared to results. After he and my father retired for the night, I went looking for some virgin water (I've worked over the weedline around my dad's dock, and I think they are somewhat educated (or pricked) by now). Neighbor was not around, and apparently he doesn't mind if folks use his dock... so I ran over there as the mosquitoes began to appear in exponentially increasing fashion. On my fourth or fifth cast of a carefully made deer hair popper, here is what happened:

The fly plopped down on the outer edge of the weeds, and just on the outside of the bed, I saw a barely-discernable movement... thinking back, I can't remember what I saw, but I remember seeing it. That motion gave me pause, and that pause allowed for a fish - a BIG fish - to make a WAKE while cruising just under the water surface toward that popper... while making the wake, it seemed to be moving its head from side to side - kind of like it was saying "AHHHH, I'M GONNA CRUSH THAT THING... AHHH, HERE I COME!" When it got to the popper, a nice water-bass WHOOMBP sound hit my ears and the fly disappeared in a turbulent swirl. I knew the fly was gone (no steel leader) - I actually remember thinking to myself "it's gone" - but I set the hook anyway and my limp line came floating back to me. My mouth hung open for a while, and I stared at the water. I wished the fish well and told him that the barbless hook will probably fall out very soon. All in all, it was one for the ages - even though I never felt the weight of the fish or witnessed the square-dance he could have performed on my 5/6 wt.

The best way I can summarize it is with music: while I was watching that wake move toward the popper, the drum roll was reaching a crescendo... when the fish struck, someone hit the cymbal, and as I pulled in the fly-less line there could be heard a long, constant bass tone signifying the drama of it all.

Esox lucius - Google it if you don't know the name. I'll be looking for more of the same imagery tonight. If I can get my dad to come out with me, you may be treated to a photo.

7 Comments:

Blogger John Montana said...

nice justin...keep the images coming (verbal or visual). got my hands full here but still need the occasional fishing fix!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

Got out again last night - Dad was throwing a Moss Boss with spinning gear and I was setting poppers down everywhere - felt great: conditions were good, no wind, nice evening... and I'd forgotten how well that Pro Graphite lays the DT6 line out there so gracefully - pretty cool. But - no fish at all. I drew one nice roll from a largemouth, but he totally missed the popper and he wouldn't come back for it.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't know J you had a blog. Didn't know it was linked to Northfield.org either. Pretty sure I know who John Montana is too...quite an X-rated name though if I may note. I really need to go fishing with you guys...would be an education to be sure!

5:19 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, true religion, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike free, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, true religion outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co jewelry, christian louboutin outlet

11:39 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale

11:46 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, nike air max, ray ban, parajumpers outlet, toms outlet, timberland shoes, converse shoes, replica watches, moncler, hollister, lancel, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, links of london uk, wedding dress, louis vuitton canada, ugg, vans, moncler, pandora charms, canada goose uk, louboutin, canada goose, oakley, juicy couture outlet, hollister canada, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, iphone 6 case, ralph lauren, canada goose pas cher, pandora uk, coach outlet, moncler, montre femme, converse, swarovski uk, uggs canada, supra shoes, hollister clothing, karen millen, swarovski jewelry, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, air max, gucci, moncler

11:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

15926meiqing
nike free run
cheap oakley sunglasses
tommy hilfiger outlet
cheap ray ban sunglasses
nike huarache trainers
pandora
ugg slippers
ugg boots clearance
retro jordans
ralph lauren outlet
kobe bryant shoes
pandora bracelets
prada
nike air huarache
tods outlet
coach outlet
nike roshe run women
ed hardy outlet
christian louboutin shoes
hermes uk
kevin durant shoes
toms shoes
uggs boots on sale
canada goose jackets
north face uk
hollister co
adidas superstars
nike blazer
air force 1
pandora jewelry

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home