Saturday, June 06, 2009

The Jones is Always Around

Armed with nothing but polarized glasses, I found myself walking along the river. After only a few steps, I left the paved path, walked through the rip-rap and pushed through the chest high grass to look behind a nice current break. The reward was some solid viewing of dozens-hundreds of fish: quillbacks, redhorse, suckers and carp. Even a token smallmouth thrown in there. Unaware, thanks to grass camo. No rod though. Went home after just a few minutes. Thought about those fish for a while. Tubular mouths like angels singing (Ted Kooser). What were they doing there? Lounging, playing, flopping, resting. Eating. Wandering the bar, slowly… some of them eating.

Nothing burns at me more than knowing there are some ready-to-catch fish out there – spotted and thought of and asking for flies. So subsequently, a few minutes were set aside. I knew precisely where the fish were and what they were doing. I sidled up to the fish, flipped a carp carrot variant out there and watched this carp move ~3 feet to suck it up. Beauty. Piecred a rubber mouth in barbaric fashion, for just a few minutes of battle… Released and continued on my way. Rod was rigged up for <10 minutes total. All this happened prior to 7:44 AM. One of many “efficient” episodes that comprise the life of a busy fisherman.

4 Comments:

Blogger John Montana said...

Looks like a carrot fly variation...what's the scoop?

soon to come on Carp on the Fly, 20lbers # 5 and 6 for the year. and a brand spanking new, BUSTED 7 wt. Ouch...the gary borger Targus was short lived. Hope the warranty is good!

8:36 PM  
Blogger winonaflyfactory said...

This is known as "getting your fix" and sometimes "junkies" get an itch, let me know if that happens and we can set aside more time on the water.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. This is Mark. You don't know me but I read your blog and WFF once in a while. I flyfish but not for carp. Anyway, wanted to let you know that the carp are really flipping and flopping (assume spawning) on Lake Josephine in Arden Hills. Park in the lot on Lexington and walk down to the water on the south shore. Good luck. Keep up the nice blog.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

Thanks for the tip Mark. If I am ever up that way, I will follow up. You should go bump a few yourself.

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home