Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen, We Got 'Em: The Sunning Carp

Actually not that big of a deal but I like that line, and these carp were sticking in my brain since they whipped me on Monday. Swung through on Friday then and gave them another go of it. I didn't have much time. Longer leader, smaller tippet, smaller fly and even softer steps is what I put out there.

The water was up a bit, and it was slightly more turbid. That put a good number of the fish I saw on Monday out of the range of visibility. There were some around though, nearly all doing this:

When I first saw those fish, I passed on them, hoping to find some that weren't hemmed in by 15" DBH logs in the river. I didn't really find anything better though, so I circled back and starting putting flies on them. I got refusals and spooks, but not as blatant as the last time... I got the feeling that I was going to get a take, and it worked out in short order. Fish's head was right by a snag and I was blocked from seeing the mouth... but I guessed on the hookset and it was there. Good feeling - I had missed a couple fish and for a while I thought I was going crazy and losing all ability and reflex to set the hook. Only problem was that I had to jump down a vertical bank of ~5 feet to land the fish. Did that.

Next I fished to this guy for ~15 minutes. He was feeding, so he held my attention.... mouthing around in the branches and leaves of the newly-fallen snag is what he was doing... pretty deliberate movements of body and mouth - cool to watch. He was so into it though, and there was so much tree in the way, I just couldn't get him to take a fly. I think if I'd had a clean shot to lay it down in front of him, he'd have eaten it. I eventually just left him to do his bit and I moved on. Cool fish. Hard to believe a guy would consider hooking a fish in that mess. My plan (that wouldn't have worked) was to try to haul/ski him up over a log after hooking.

Got lucky with the second fish of the day. Walking without much caution downriver on a fishy stretch... came right up on a solo feeding fish, pointed right at me in dead still water. I thought for sure the spook was coming... flipped the LOD out there, 8 inches up and 8 inches to the left of the fish, and the cat pounce was on. I got to watch all of that one. I forgot my protractor at home, so I'm planning to call IGFA to have them determine whether or not this is a fair hooked fish... hehe.


Little monkey was on my back... not a big deal, but he's kind of off now. I shouldn't be fishing to this mood of carp. Need to find some feeding fish. Need to find a flat somewhere.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

nice to see that you hooked into a few fish to bring you out of your funk. Too bad you had to snag them though... right in the upper lip.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

I snagged them both by the tail, and then removed the hook and put it in the lip for the picture.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got your cure! get a hold of me, I have a couple nice carp flats for us to fish within 20 minutes of Rochester...I have a fairly liberal schedule. My newest passion is sight fishing to carp. I have found you to be a very useful resource, and value your knowledge. remember there is always a bad apple in the bunch just toss it in the compost pile and let Mother Nature do her work.

8:37 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, true religion, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike free, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, true religion outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co jewelry, christian louboutin outlet

12:15 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home