Monday, August 06, 2007

Guesswork

I was sent out to fish for 1.25 hours yesterday, after sons went down for naps. Couldn’t refuse, despite poor conditions: 100% cloud cover and very turbid water. I fully expected to be skunked, and I figured I’d see only a few fish.

Surprisingly I was greeted by several waving tails of carp. “Hello, hello they said.” I rigged up my brand new 7 wt Redington (replaced after John Montana snapped its predecessor for me!) and focused on a tail that looked big… waving around approx 30 feet out and 15 feet down (I was up high). With the first ever cast at a carp with that rod, I put a fly about 4 feet past the fish and quickly stripped it to where I figured his head was and let it sink. Could see nothing really… but I estimated sink time and location and figured that if the fish saw it, he’d eat it right about now… picked up rod and fish was on. That feeling does not get old. No visual cues at all from the fish.

Being that I was hurried out of the house I forgot my net. That made for a 14-minute battle with this fish. In traditional carp fashion, it made several good runs – most sparked by the sight of a lanky human ogling it with desire. The most dramatic moment was when I had to run inland to get off a little walking bridge after hooking the fish – I had a lot of line out and I was afraid he might pop off.

Came to hand at a nice little rocky flat at shore… handled gently, took a few photos and let him go.

My estimate is that this fish is on the heavier side of 6-8 lbs. Carp! you say? When's the last time you caught an 8 lb fish?



Fishing is one of many demands that competes for my time. It is not the most important of those demands. It's worth noting however, that some people perform better and are generally more agreeable when they are allowed even just a short period of recharge time like this... If weeks go by and I haven't cast a line upon water it gnaws at me, and affects my attitude, disposition and agreeability. I'd be lying if I said that were not the case. A guy doesn't need much. A day is great, but even 1.25 well-planned, low-impact-at-home hours can do a lot.

Just a second or two to stare into an eye like this one:

6 Comments:

Blogger John Montana said...

sweet report. i know what you mean about just needing a "fix." i'm a better father when i have some time to decompress on the water. i love taking the kids with me, but i still need that alone time to focus on what is happening, rather than on what my kid is doing.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

I remember you once said something like "I'm a better man for it" with reference to your attitude adjustment achieved after some fishing time. That stuck in my head as accurate and well said.

3:23 PM  
Blogger zonker said...

Enjoyed the report and the fish pic. Nice looking new rod, too. Maybe I can get John to come and break mine when I need a new one. ;-)

Actually, with the number or rods you guys have broken, I just know I'm running on borrowed time. I've been waiting to hear that heartbreaking "snap."

z~

11:32 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, true religion, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike free, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, true religion outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co jewelry, christian louboutin outlet

12:14 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale

12:28 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, nike air max, ray ban, parajumpers outlet, toms outlet, timberland shoes, converse shoes, replica watches, moncler, hollister, lancel, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, links of london uk, wedding dress, louis vuitton canada, ugg, vans, moncler, pandora charms, canada goose uk, louboutin, canada goose, oakley, juicy couture outlet, hollister canada, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, iphone 6 case, ralph lauren, canada goose pas cher, pandora uk, coach outlet, moncler, montre femme, converse, swarovski uk, uggs canada, supra shoes, hollister clothing, karen millen, swarovski jewelry, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, air max, gucci, moncler

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home