Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Last 14 Hours

Late yesterday hit a little trout stream with a good buddy. He is looking for chances to get his fly rod in the field, so I obliged. Nice night - great weather including short period of rain. We encountered a hatch of very small mayflies and something else that I could not catch to ID... color was white and size was around 20 I guess. I tried a small dry fly but it got laughed at. I switched over to JB's Wilted Spinach (my version of it) and immediately caught (or at least hooked) just about every fish within casting distance... at one point hooked a trout on six straight casts. Pretty funny because I know nothing about hatches but I know that that fly rocks.

This AM I tried to catch a carp on my new 7 wt. Only saw one, as conditions were tough and time short. I did have a cool little LMB roll on the fly as I was jigging at bubbles... first fish on that rod - hope that's not a curse. Also caught a strangely decent crappie... both from ugly water right in urban Roch.