Sunday, April 15, 2007








Get your clock cleaned
Get lit up by cyprinus carpio
Get crushed
Get mauled by fish
See people mobbing the water all day
Get your izzauw beaten all over the place
Work for hours and see nothing
Finally see one pod of fish and get crushed by them
Go home with sunburn and no takes

In other words, I fished for 4-5 hours yesterday and couldn’t find any carp. First off, the waters were pretty mobbed with people. There were a number of bobber rigs being tossed around (ALL around) the shore of my top prospect. I walked laps for two hours and literally never laid eyes on anything save one ghostly gray image of one carp fading into the depths… this is excluding the occasional carp that would leap into the air way out in the middle of the water. So the spot that gave a carp and good chances and fantasies to James and me yesterday produced literally ZERO legitimate chances at another today. So on to more known water – the next two were big zeroes as well. Finally after a short drive I came to a good spot – but found it also mobbed with folks… okay – no big deal – I searched the “backwaters” of said spot and found these fish. It was a very fascinating situation. I was literally standing 6 feet from very busy traffic. Cars were slowing down staring at me – a freak with a fly rod and gaze locked on something out of their sight… pretty funny. I honestly thought I was posing a hazard to traffic, so I slid down the vertical incline that led to the water. I had no chance to backcast really – unless I wanted to time it between oncoming cars…. I tried a steeple cast and promptly got my fly wrapped around a fricking power line that was above my head. I could see these fish feeding plain as day, but the only way I could get a fly to them was to get close enough to bow-and-arrow cast it… so I slowly crept down to them. I was able to B&A cast a few times – decent but not good enough casts. Then they slowly started to drop back under the brush cover… I am sure they were suspicious of my form and/or the casts. I left and came back a half hour later – they were there again… I tried the same tactic, only this time on the first cast they BOLTED out of there like horses. So the only fish I could find all day were offered nothing but a hacked up handful of casts, and as a result I went home having never sensed a beautiful take or felt a wretching on my 4 wt. I’m telling myself that it’s good to sometimes get my ass kicked by the fish. The irony is that I was in perfect position to take these cool pics (camera does not require backcast, and has great zoom so you don't have to get close).

6 Comments:

Blogger eric said...

Hey Justin,

Great post! When I was going to school in Moorhead I used to walk down to the Red River and sit on a bench near the bottom of a low head dam. Carp would hang in the eddys and every now and then a true monster would rise up out of the murk. Your photos really took me back.

eric

7:58 AM  
Blogger Marcus & Aanna said...

I didn't see the puzzle on the next post. Sounds like you had a great time though!!!

Marcus

8:40 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

Look closer... it's there!

1:23 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, true religion, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike free, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, true religion outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co jewelry, christian louboutin outlet

11:41 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale

11:47 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, nike air max, ray ban, parajumpers outlet, toms outlet, timberland shoes, converse shoes, replica watches, moncler, hollister, lancel, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, links of london uk, wedding dress, louis vuitton canada, ugg, vans, moncler, pandora charms, canada goose uk, louboutin, canada goose, oakley, juicy couture outlet, hollister canada, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, iphone 6 case, ralph lauren, canada goose pas cher, pandora uk, coach outlet, moncler, montre femme, converse, swarovski uk, uggs canada, supra shoes, hollister clothing, karen millen, swarovski jewelry, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, air max, gucci, moncler

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home