Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Early Summer Trout: Two Mornings



Day one walk in with my neighbor.  A favorite place in the world.  May and early June trout fishing in the DA is pretty damn good.  Streamside veg not too intense but getting there.  Some of the big bugs coming off.

I always pay attention to vertical fall.  My take is that streams with good fall from node A to node B will be pretty good for the most part, even if the banks are beat up.  Current velocity is a key driver; energy keeps substrate scoured; keeps some holes present somewhere even if they tend to move.  The vertical fall from that riffle top to the bottom is pretty significant.  Have often wondered what it would look to plot a scatter of vertical fall vs fish and/or bug IBI for reach X.


Glad to get out with my neighbor; good fisherman and lover of fine angling tools.  He caught a lot of trout.  This one in that nice little side channel ate a big dry fly.



Paul Hermann reel and salmo trutta.  Nice dry fly fish; we got a lot of those.

June bugs clumsy in the water; nice candy bar.

This is what I mean: some big terrible looking poorly tied dry fly come of my shop; got eaten all morning.  Color nor detail mattered.  Fish looking up; naturals of various species everywhere.  Don't overthink it; be a generalist.





Took only second limit of 2017.  Just haven't been logging much trout fishing this year.  Can't find my main knife so pulled out this old Sword Brand.


Fish stopped looking up in the afternoon. Tried some garbagey looking streamers.



Neighbor took some pics when I wasn't looking.  Kind of see a Shinobi fisherman there.  Throwing stars replaced by the most bottom of the barrel misc junk streamers one could imagine.  All of which caught fish.






We took it easy and brought no fewer than 50 trout to hand; not even a question about it; that's probably a low number. It's not tough to do this time of year; I think my kids could do it using 25 year old purple bodied #10 dry fly patterns.  Got three brook trout and some creek chubs too.  No really big fish but we did have a good count in the 11-13" range.  That year class seemed to show well.

Little more than a week later: let's give the younger kid a run; see what he can do.

A lot of this: sidelong examinations as kids often execute. 

Took these to be craneflies.  Any notes appreciated.


First cast of the day around 7 AM he hooked a fish and did not land. While later I think maybe this was first to hand.

He took four from this reach.  Got one on video.

Beauty; much more beautiful than anything hand of man can manipulate or create.






And to be clear I don't cast for my kids.  I bark at them and I help land the fish by either netting or grabbing.  That's it.  Probably my top pastime now is watching them fish.



I like framing people in the outcrops.  Good perspective for us.




He hooked quite a few and landed nine trout by 1030 AM.  At that point the fish were no longer looking up and he was pretty well set.  Doing other things.  Looking elsewhere.  If kids can walk these rivers and get decent numbers of trout fishing for a few hours with 50% focus, the lesson is probably that we might make things too complicated sometimes.  My take is that you need mainly (1) to be present on the river, (2) read water well, (3) get some/whatever fly in front of fish.  The remaining details not critical. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home