Monday, February 11, 2013

The FYI


[TSR Dungeon Purple Worm Version]

Hook: Colored bait hook from Eagle Claw with a really big gap
Thread: red 6/0 to match chenille
Tail: braided chenille, in this case purple and a fancy red fat ball of muck from a hobby shop
Body: purple chenille
Head: DB eyes or I-Balz, these courtesy of River City Fly Shop

Easiest fly in the world. Way back around year 2000 I fished something very similar for SMB in the Boundary Waters. Worked well.  Perusing this article brought me back to that pattern. Burning a bit over that concept and the known response that carp offer to SJW and similar patterns...   I dusted off the "yarn worm," restyled a bit and turned out a dozen or so...   the result being my contribution to the most dominant carp swap out there, at Fly Carpin.  In the context of the participants there, I would be a lowly dog.  Lowest, saddest dog.  Depressed, never happy, always-worrying mutt fly tier and aggravated fisherman.  So thanks McTage for the invite.

FYI stands for Yarn Invasion, with a prefixed modifier of your choice. It is thus conducive to loud and confirming exclamations at the point of carp taking this fly.  You can chose to use the abbreviation: FYI you sow biatch!  Or you can spell it all out clearly as line peels off your reel: ****** Yarn Invasion you ****** ****** sow piggy *****!


4 Comments:

Blogger Gregg said...

Caught just a handful of carp on a SJW, this is a serious upgrade!

Gregg

12:33 PM  
Blogger John Montana said...

I will use it, and exclaim accordingly.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Johnmet said...

Hey Wendy,
Nice looking fly, I will have to give it a try. I have been listening to WMMT on the interweb and found that one of their DJs is named Wendell Bartley, so I thought of you and was reminded to check your blog and also figured you might enjoy WMMT. It is a fairly eclectic mix from eastern KY. Hope you have time to check it out.
Later,
J.Mette from the watershed to the west.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Feather Chucker said...

Checked out your blog from the fly swap. Looks good I'm gonna be following this one. I have one too. It's called FeatherChucker.blogspot.com

I have been trying to find the perfect largemouth worm bass fly for a while. You just might have created it.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home