Sunday, August 07, 2011

Pondering Semi-Retirement from MN Carp Scene

Made a stop a couple days ago and some carp were caught. The first fish was looking upstream, feeding. I looked straight at it and noted to the fish that it was caught. Walked back to the car and lined my rod. Whistling. Ambled into position. Flipped a cast beyond and to the left and dragged a LOD into the carp's feeding cone. Immediate eat. Later on I caught a couple fish on the SJW. I could barely bring myself to take a picture of them. In fact at one point before casting to a 5 lb fish I squeezed my brain trying to think of any dimension of what I was about to do that would be memorable in some way. The only thing I could think of was the take, so I set my camera in the grass for one fish and tried to Blair Witch video the hookset. It worked but the camera wasn't situated quite right so the footage is marginal.

It's not that the MN carping bit isn't cool. It's that given (1) the reference information I have for comparative analysis, and (2) the sum of the parts here in MN isn't all that epic, it becomes more of a pastime than a memory-making expedition. Clearly, it is enjoyable to look for fish, see them and watch them eat. There is no argument on that one. But at some point the repeated lackluster and the repeated sub-par nature prompts one to question whether or not there are better things to be doing. Like fishing trout. Or trying to hook a muskie for the first time. Or taking your son out to catch LMB (he reguarly refers to them by this acronym now).

A carp revival will require any combination of new discovery: (1) some flats on Ole Miss; (2) some shots at truly large fish. Otherwise I figure a guy might focus time and energy on other things.

I'm always tinkering with strategies and plans. At this point, I'm close to solidifying Columbia River and Lake Michigan as my carp time. Leaving it at that.

In closing though: I still have a $100 reward offer to anyone who can point me in the direction of legitimate sight-fishing opportunities for 20+ lb carp here in MN. And believe me, if it were to come through, I'd send the check.




6 Comments:

Blogger John Montana said...

Mississippi. We know there are monster carp in that river, what we don't know are where to fins them in shallow water. I think you and WFF need to take a day, rent a power boat and hit google earth for some likely spots and see what you see.

Remember where I took you on our first OR carp trip? Exploration is tough to justify but the only way to find cool shit you haven't seen before.

But the musky thing sounds sweet! As does fishing with James.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Minnesota said...

Try the Mississippi at Saint Anthony Main in MPLS. There are numerous shallow backwater areas and I have seen some massive carp finning about while fishing for smallmouth. I don't know if they are 20lbs big they are big enough for me. FWIW.

If that doesn't work then head over to Lake Harriet--plenty of muskies there. They chase flies too. The beach scenery is not bad either.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

Good tips. Your points are well taken and I know the task ahead is rooted in exploration.

How times have changed since the move from NFLD to Rochester. Used to be a marauding carper. Swashbuckling. Wielding even a Micro Fly Rod in the face of worthy carp.

Where is the horse gone? where the rider?
Where the giver of treasure?
Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup!
Alas for the mailed warrior!
Alas for the splendour of the prince!
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night,
as if it had never been.

- The Wanderer

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Nohackle said...

Don't leave the carp man. They'll haunt your dreams. Caught an 12 pounder yesterday in Alaxander Park on the surface! Better than BBQ! Two exclamation points is my quota for the year. Be at peace.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

There's no way to leave carp once you've found them. I'm only forever struggling with how to best dole out my allotted time. Good to hear from you NoHackle. Hope things are going well. The pics in this post were taken in your hometown. I'll bump into you one day.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0601
michael kors
mulberry outlet
oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet
swarovski crystal
basketball jerseys
longchamp handbags
mulberry bags
lakers jerseys
keen shoes

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home