Thursday, May 05, 2011

Spring Celebrant Episode III

Finally got it: heavy caddis hatch. Many cars. Many people. I know by now though, that in this case: doesn't matter. You can fish all day in sight of someone up and downstream of you and still catch 40 trout.

On this day I had about three hours. Starting 1 PM. Walked up to the first hole, and did not leave it until 3 PM. Notes:

(1) Immediately, the fish took adult EHC patterns. Maybe 15 fish in the first 30 minutes. Then a lull of maybe 15-20 minutes. I noted mayflies on the water, mixed with caddis. So I tried the Adams pattern. Taken readily. In fact, it fished as well as the caddis. I believe that the pattern was originally designed to imitate a fluttering caddis.

(2) They say that if you don't catch fish, you still have a great time, as long as you are fishing. It isn't quite true, but with a slight modifier I can say that I'd go along: as long as you have some action and/or some visuals, it doesn't really matter all that much precisely how many fish you get to hand. Case in point with this hatch: it was just as sweet to observe the patterns, and watch the trout repeatedly charge and then refuse flies as it was to watch them crush and sideswipe and hit flies before they even landed on the water surface. Saying that honestly. I actually enjoyed being refused. In part because it's an education.

(3) Clearly I was not fishing this situation "just right." For two reasons: (1) I don't know how to do that exactly, and (2) it's unnecessary really. I believe that the fish were eating caddis in the film for a lot of the time I was there. Hard to say for sure. I did see them charging the adults bouncing on the water, but careful observation showed a lot of fish hitting unseen insects. LaFontaine describes this in his book. I should have been using some "damp" or emergent pattern. But if you give them the adult, they will eat it. Maybe not right away, but they will eat it.

(4) Tried various skittering techniques. Tough. I think the immediate mend is a good approach. I also tried holding rod high and shaking the tip. These approaches need refinement.

(5) Stomach contents of kept trout showed almost 100% caddis pupae. Green and black wads of gorge.

(6) Watching trout eat dry flies is one of the pinnacles.

(7) Needed this medicine because the busty spring was starting to get to me.

(8) Wore out all my EHC. Need to work on fly durability.

(9) Hard to say, but probably 30-40 fish to hand. One was low teens, otherwise a lot of smaller fish. Kept fish ranged from 9.25" to 11.50". We've eaten our share of trout, so this creel was shared with others.





5 Comments:

Blogger Trout Caviar said...

Glad you got in on that. It's something to see, no matter how many times you've seen it.

I agree that you can usually get them to take a surface fly if you're good and persistent--with a hatch as heavy as what I saw Wednesday, they lost all interest in dries, just too much food in the film and floating by in the safe stratum under the surface.

I'm tempted to say booya, woot, and what-have-you. Good fun.

Brett

10:29 PM  
Blogger John Montana said...

Awesome. I hit that an afternoon a few years ago...I was supposed to meet you and the boys at that hotel, I was late. Hah!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

To lock that elk/deer hair in alternate wraps over and infront of the butt ends of the hair. Then trim the hair. This has worked great for me.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

TC: I go ahead and yell a lot on the stream. Involuntary.

JM: I remember you yelling down the road as we walked to White Valley Hotel. You were late.

Good note Jason. Been doing that lately. Much more solid.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0927



coach outlet
superdry uk
hugo boss
pandora charms
adidas clothing
ralph lauren polo
moncler jackets
michael kors outlet
basketballl shoes
coach outlet


9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home