Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Company One Keeps Part II

Just back from the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo. I manned our booth for Saturday and Sunday, with some good compadres and coworkers. We had decent traffic, and a fair number of interested folks. Not an inundation though. Here is some potentially useful information that I worked up for our display:





Two booths down from us was Dennis Potter. He's an outstanding tier, and a funny dude. I found reason to stroll down to watch him tie... quite often. I took a good number of notes. He doesn't hold back telling a guy what he should and shouldn't do when it comes to flies. He handed me this little "baby trout streamer." He screwed up the coloring and told me it was my fault.


Once again though, the company one keeps: we've established a bit of a tradition - that of staying up late the one night we spend at the hotel (between the work days) to tie flies. Often coincides with NCAA tourney too, which is good. Beer and chatter and stories and questions and tying. This year I cranked out a good number of Adams patterns - trying to rededicate myself to learning the various dry flies a person needs down here.

And beyond that tradition - more good company. I got to talk with writers, fisherman and solid folks all around. Good vibes.





Slightly unrelated but mildly related because I was loading up my boxes with the new flies and I had some streamers out for rearranging... Here, a guy checking out the SMB by WFF:

2 Comments:

Anonymous winonaflyfactory said...

Like the look for those Adams, done well there. That trout streamer, big eyes, I liked that alot too, looks deadly, I'll be looking for those eyes the next time I'm at a store.

Like the shot of James and the SMB, not too long and he will be wanting to stash those in his own box. You'll have to keep your secret stash set aside.

Here's hoping the wind didn't get you too bad out there today. Wish I could have been around for the Expo, took the time to be with family though.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

Wind was something to deal with, but not a day-killer.

SMB is a sweet fly. I like the size a lot - just right.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home