Tuesday, November 11, 2008

November Rain

This is the kind of day it was. The pic should communicate well that conditions were less-than-desirable. Warm rain is one thing... Sleet is another. The family was obligated to be away today though, and I had a short slot to get out: 10 AM to 12 PM on this day. I did hem and haw about where to go, what to fish for, etc... but eventually threw the canoe on top of the Satty and set out.

Second cast met a pulsing resistance and I was pretty excited: second cast fish could portend a very good couple hours. Turned out to be M. salmoides though. Came from pretty deep.

You'll probably figure I rigged up this photo... but I'm telling you - trout #1 was hooked on the stinger. 11.5" caught troll-paddling in fairly deep water (full sinking line).

I was hard-pressed to stay out there. After eviscerating that trout, my hands were pretty much frozen. Paddling helped, so I took to 100% trolling. In some respects, it felt great to be out there. Only a trio of anglers fishing from shore... wind and rain beating down, meaning to defy my efforts to harvest some fish... kind of a toothpick atop the water on a gray and metallic, hard day. Nobody in this age of men can really be called a warrior, but we like to feel like one now and then. Subjecting oneself to punishment, in pursuit of quarry can do that it seems. Felt good indeed. I was dressed pretty well, so other than my hands, I was warm. I trolled around a bit, and I believe I had two more hits, although I can't be sure. Paddling solo like that, you have to rest the rod between your legs, so there is a delay between detecting strikes and gripping the rod. I was too slow a couple times.

There came a point at which the trio of anglers left, the wind kicked up, and the rain came a little harder. I figured it was my signal. I started for the landing, still trolling... and to end things well, caught this 14" rainbow on the way in. Believe it or not, also hooked on the stinger. Biggest trout I've kept I think (not caught, but rather kept). (I consider this a food fishery, and these rainbows are stocked. I have never kept a wild brown >12.5".)

Probably the last time I'll target trout until January 1, 2009. Probably eat these fish tonight with some dirty rice and bread. Have it ready when the family returns.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argg! I have similar feeling towards stocked rainbows vs. the browns. I wish I was still getting out on the water. Is it not illegal to fish for trout here now?

6:18 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

Some waters have special regs - this is one of them: open year round, limit of three with only one exceeding 16".

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Interesting, I will have to look into this. Congrats on your resolve to cast poor weather aside for that yearning. Glad it panned out for you.

10:52 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

My oh my. I feel like a total woose after reading this. I need a better rationale for not being out trout fishing than I'm getting old... the season is closed in Bluff country, how bout my heart medicine slows my circulation to the point I could easily die from hypothermia?????? Oh well.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ha, I know where you were. I used to frequent that hole back when I lived in the metro. Caught some very nice brookies through the ice there.

It is getting damn cold out there on the water. Tried it for an hour today with not much for a bite. I'll give it one more shot tomorrow and Fri for some whitefish, then I think I'm done until next spring. (Except for ice fishing of course).

8:55 PM  
Blogger John Montana said...

all i can say is i really need to go fishing.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Wendy Berrell said...

You do need to go fishing. Get out there. You know as well as I do what it does for a person.

Related note: we baked these two fish the evening after they were caught. The 14" was so meaty, we were left with half of it untouched after the meal. I think we'll make fried rice with it tonight. A related-related note: I don't like baked trout as much as I like fried trout. The meat was a bit soft I'd say. Still good - still that taste of "water" in the flesh... but fried is better, at least at this point, with the cooking skills approaches available.

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, can you drop your email at my site. I can't find an email address on your site. if you don't mind.

12:16 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, true religion, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike free, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, true religion outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co jewelry, christian louboutin outlet

12:16 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home