Monday, May 21, 2007

My Clock Was Getting Dirty

So I decided to get it cleaned. It went like this:

Sight fishing for these local carp with the 4 wt is fun. However, the past few brief outings I’ve had have regularly produced fish. Thus, the question must be asked: how can one make the process more difficult? Enter the Micro Fly Rod, by J. Austin Forbes.

Today was supposed to be my flex day off, but I ended up working better than half of it. On my way home though, I figured I could justify stopping for 1.5 hours of fishing. Everyone was napping at home anyway. I’d stopped at this location a couple times recently, and I told John Montana that I’d return there with the Micro today – try to catch a carp on it…. I’ve not heard of anyone catching a carp with a Micro. In fact, I don’t know anyone else who owns one.

I ended up tallying six hookups – here is a fish-by-fish account:

Fish #1: estimated 6-8 lbs
I dropped a swimming clouser on a tailer, and “guessed” that he had it – meaning no visual cues. I guessed right, and was rewarded with my first connection. I have to say I was a little surprised to find that I could actually put a hook in a carp with that little rig - I knew it was possible, but I thought I'd have to wait a little longer than 10-15 minutes of fishing. I slid down the bank and fought the fish for about five minutes – went okay until he got close and caught sight of me… he then took off like a mad dog and ran all the way through my backing and when I put the brakes on he broke me off. Nice! He kicked my tail and I loved every second of it.


Fish #2: estimated 8-10 lbs
In a similar fashion, I dropped a DB Legion of Doom fly on a tailer and guessed right again – couldn’t believe it! This one didn’t last as long though – immediately ran right through my line and backing and I remember saying “I’m gonna run of f*ckin’ line again” and I did just that.

Fish #3: estimate 8-10 lbs
In this instance I was fishing to a couple of tailers that kept fading in and out of my view. All of a sudden a bigger fish came into sight on the edge of the silt plain – not feeding but looking interested anyway. I quickly cast out there and I got to watch this fish spot the fly as it began to sink, then charge ahead aggressively and suck it in – NICE! I set the hook, and immediately threw the one non-waterproof device I was carrying on the bank. I was set to jump in after this fish – I did just that as it began to lay waste to my line and backing…. I should have known that it was futile though – I just ran downstream in the main current and the fish just ran faster. I got to the end of the spool and broke that one off too. You’d think I was frustrated at this point, but on the contrary I was loving getting my clock cleaned.


[by now I was soaked, shoes full of silt and body beaten up – I took a 15 minute break – walked back to car – discarded all leader/tippet and replaced with slightly bigger diameter and better knots/loops, then returned]


Fish #4: 2 lbs 10 ounces [world record at the time of landing??]
This was another drop on tailer and guess – I can’t believe that I actually seem to have this technique down. I basically think to myself “okay, it sank right by his head, and he must have it by now” – set the hook and find the fish on – wow – almost as cool as seeing the take but not quite. I'm amazed every time it works. With the bigger tippet and fresh knots I knew I had this fish when I saw how small it was… fought for maybe five minutes and landed it. I punched the record button on the camera and wedged it in the bank in an effort to get some action shots.





Fish #5: almost identical to fish #4 in size, but didn’t weigh it
I found a bunch of smaller carp feeding by the head of a log dam. I put a fly to them, and one of those youngsters dashed about 3 feet to suck it up – very cool visual on this one. Fought and played – second fish landed – very nice. I thought my day was done. I figured – landed two on the micro – that is more than a day’s work. I stuck around for just a few more minutes though…

Thanks Zonker for another great pattern - it landed all three fish today:



Fish #6: 14 lbs 10 ounces [current world record for carp on Micro]
I was stalking around when out of nowhere came this big-looking carp, feeding along the bank up ahead of me... Big enough to give me pause - did I really want to try to tangle via Micro with a fish that immense? Yes. I tried to cast to it, but right away got tangled in a bush. I slowly and carefully removed the fly and found that not only did I not spook the fish, she had moved directly under me! I got ready to dap a fly on her, but before I could I witnessed her back up, then ram the bank with her head like a battering ram… then pick through the silt and shrapnel for any morsels she could find – wow – very cool. I dropped a little fly right in front of her, and I kid you not – she spotted that thing and surged forward for it. I have to admit that given the rod I was holding in my hand, I was a little scared of actually hooking this fish… but of course I did. She lurched back from the bank, I threw my electronics on the ground and slid down the bank, ready to SWIM after this fish I wanted so badly to land it… The fight was on, and it was a good one. I’d learned from the previous fish that I’d better not let this one see me – seeing the fisherman induces intense and deadly runs by carp that leave fishermen with limp lines. I stood statue still whenever she got close, and that worked – didn’t try to net prematurely. She did make some great runs, and I was really focused on “letting” her get away with 75% of each run, but then leaning on my heavy tippet to keep that other 25% in my court. I was dug in like a patient monk – ready to play the fish into submission. I did just that, and after 10-12 mintues of battle I landed one of my top carp - not biggest ever, but a landmark fish for that little rig. I took a number of photos and let her go. She was all beat up when I landed her – I am certain that was not from the fight – not sure what happened to her. The bugle mouth on that fish was amazing. Also, it is the furthest back in the mouth I’ve ever had a fly lodge. It did fall out like butter though when I bumped it with my forceps.




So – six fish hooked, half of them landed; half were guesses and half were visual hookups…. Nice balance for the day. Man, what an outing. Next time I bring out a 4 wt it’s going to seem like I’m strong-arming the fish!

I’ll self-proclaim the title of world record holder for carp on Micro until someone either beats it or shows me record of a bigger fish. In fact, I’m wondering how this fish ranks in the overall list of ANY fish caught on a Micro.

17 Comments:

Blogger John Montana said...

wow! not much i can really say after reading that. except that I am actively perusing the j. austin forbes website as i type this. i've got my eye on a nice little micro and thoughts of 20 lb world record carp...heh heh...

seriously great report j...

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Justin,

That's a great set of accomplishments. Can't say as I've ever seen anyone land *any* fish on one of those toy rods, much less good sized carp. Good job!

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Cripies! That was amazing Justin! I imagine John will be buying a Micro so you don't get an easy record with yours!

Cool pic and video.

Scott T

1:06 PM  
Blogger Marcus & Aanna said...

Heh, heh...yep, good luck Bartlett on defeating Justin with your micro.

Great story!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Murdock said...

My gosh man! I think you should start a new club for people who have caught fish larger than the rod they used to catch them!

Great story!

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an AWESOME story! I am completely impressed. What a fun day on the water. Rad.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Eich said...

Reminds me of catching carp on the Scooby Doo rod. Great accomplishment and looks like great fun. Good job!

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice, and ya made itonMoldy Chum too!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Okay, THAT is just cool. When John posted about your Micro rod, I was thinking spinning rod - my very first carp ever was caught on a Quantum MicroLight 4' spinning outfit that held about 100' of 4lb mono. I got spooled twice by the fish, but somehow managed to keep three or four wraps of line - just enough to keep from having the knot slip - and I wound up landing that fish. It was a rush.

I've got to go browse that J. Austin site and see what those Micro rods run - they look like they'd be a hoot for panfish and small stream trout.

1:29 AM  
Blogger testflycarpin said...

OK, I am a few years late to comment but this was such a cool and fun post. That thing is so TINY! Hilarious. And quite an odd accomplishement.

7:07 PM  
Blogger e.m.b. said...

And I thought carping with a soft 4wt Sage Circa was a bit extreme.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Dwight said...

Is there any place that sells them? The Forbes website is still up, but the email address is not good.

8:45 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, true religion, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike free, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, true religion outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co jewelry, christian louboutin outlet

11:41 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale

11:47 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, nike air max, ray ban, parajumpers outlet, toms outlet, timberland shoes, converse shoes, replica watches, moncler, hollister, lancel, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, links of london uk, wedding dress, louis vuitton canada, ugg, vans, moncler, pandora charms, canada goose uk, louboutin, canada goose, oakley, juicy couture outlet, hollister canada, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, iphone 6 case, ralph lauren, canada goose pas cher, pandora uk, coach outlet, moncler, montre femme, converse, swarovski uk, uggs canada, supra shoes, hollister clothing, karen millen, swarovski jewelry, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, air max, gucci, moncler

11:51 PM  
Blogger Aurora said...

thank you for sharing. I like this article, I see the post here is very useful.

situs judi terpercaya
bandar dominoqq
bmwqqagen slot online
bmwqq

1:50 AM  
Anonymous صيانة اجهزة منزلية said...


نأسف علي الازعاج نحن شركة متخصصة في صيانة الاجهزة الكهربائية في مصر حيث نقدم خدماتنا في الوطن العربي مثل صيانة مكيفات بالرياض و لاننا متميزون نغطي جميع محافظات مصر في صيانة التكييف و تركيب مع خدمات سباكة وكهرباء وتأسيس نحن نقدم جميع خدمات الصيانة المنزلية . كما نتعامل مع افضل شركات المصاعد بالرياض موعد الابداع

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home