Thursday, May 17, 2007

Sight Fishing Rocks

It just fricking rocks hard. I hain't been out fishing much lately, being that there is a lot going on around here. I never did report on the last couple times out though. Here is a summary statement regarding said instances: sight fishing for carp just kicks ass. Both of my last two outings were very short, and each produced only one fish... but that was enough.

#1: I was skulking around a carp flat and I spotted a nice fish out a ways... I ninja crept it down the slope and started to cast to the fish, only to find that after I dropped to the level of the water, two smaller carp came into my sight - just 6-8 feet away feeding under a shrub overhang. I forgot about the fish in the distance and cane-poled the fly in the face of one of the nearby fish... kind of spooked and said "screw that buddy" and just slowly turned away from it... I put the fly in the cone of sight of the second fish though, and I was able to watch like it was on TV: the carp slowly dipped its head, flared mouth open and set mouth down on top of fly... wow. I was so crushed by the imagery I could barely bring myself to set the hook. I did though, and the fish took off like a bat out of hell 40+ feet downriver and broke me off. I can 100% honestly tell you that I didn't care about losing that fish. I've got the image. Later on I did sight fish to and land a different fish of similar size, but the take was observed from a distance so the drama was not as high.

#2: I was walking a high bank of a big river and there weren't many fish to be seen. I found two in a big ol' mass of trees, and I was actually considering casting to them even though I was guaranteed to break them off immediately... I just wanted to see if I could fool them I guess. Finally I saw a tail and focused on it for a while... head came into view and I was only 8 feet away up high on the bank... I snaked my fly rod through the long grass and simply dropped a swimming clouser right in front of the fish. I kid you not - that carp back-ferried a little with its pelvic fins, looked down at the fly and basically said "holy cow, look at that morsel - I'm going to pound that down!" I watched the head dip, mouth flare open... set the hook and it was on. In the big river with small 4 wt a 4 lb fish puts up a pretty good fight. I couldn't resist the grip-n-grin photo - there was the face of the bank sitting there just perfect for me to place the camera on it like a shelf. I had to apply some pretty good pressure to keep that fish out of the logs.

So you tell me: would you rather set a tip-up or a bobber out and blindly catch a fish, or sight, stalk and fool fish? Even thinking about Buffalo Days... I can say that is more fun to sight fish to 5 lb fish than to blind fish to 15 lbers.




6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Justin,

Way to go! Seeing them take like that is a real rush. Those Clousers really work

zonker

12:05 AM  
Blogger John Montana said...

well said J. there is no substitute for sight fishing!

9:40 AM  
Blogger El Bote said...

Enjoyed your Carp on Micro - Where do I find out about the fly you were using?

10:15 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale

11:47 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, nike air max, ray ban, parajumpers outlet, toms outlet, timberland shoes, converse shoes, replica watches, moncler, hollister, lancel, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, links of london uk, wedding dress, louis vuitton canada, ugg, vans, moncler, pandora charms, canada goose uk, louboutin, canada goose, oakley, juicy couture outlet, hollister canada, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, iphone 6 case, ralph lauren, canada goose pas cher, pandora uk, coach outlet, moncler, montre femme, converse, swarovski uk, uggs canada, supra shoes, hollister clothing, karen millen, swarovski jewelry, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, air max, gucci, moncler

11:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

zzzzz2018.7.3
christian louboutin shoes
oakley sunglasses
christian louboutin shoes
ralph lauren outlet
cheap basketball shoes
nike huarache femme
christian louboutin outlet
longchamp handbags
true religion jeans
red bottom shoes

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home